30.06.2007 - 3RD GLOBAL CONFERENCE THE EROTIC - EXPLORING CRITICAL ISSUES
3rd Global Conference The Erotic - Exploring Critical Issues
Friday 16th November - Sunday 18th November 2007
Call for Papers
This inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary project aims to explore
the challenging and paradoxical nature of the 'erotic'. It has three
* To explore the erotic in respect of the range and diversity of
sexual identities, relations, orientations, acts and behaviours.
* To explore the erotic as an ethical, political, social,
cultural and philosophical terrain of study
* To explore the erotic through thinkers beyond disciplines or
fields as a subject that is elusive, ever present but often absent in
both social and intellectual discourse.
Whilst it is possible to see the erotic as being increasingly
specialised within disciplinary boundaries, this has the consequence
failing to recognise cross-disciplinary connections which centre on
this theme and neglecting important historical and cultural
perspectives on the development of the 'erotic' as a locus of
attention. It also involves the erotic in being subsumed by those
disciplines and narrowly defined, when one of its strengths is
precisely that it cuts across and between disciplinary vocabularies to
provide new synergies, eclectic domains and inter-disciplinary
The conference and the project aims to instigate inter-disciplinary
dialogues which will simultaneously explore the historical and
cultural development of the 'erotic' in human societies and enable
creative and imaginative inter-disciplinary and cross-disciplinary
perspectives on its forms, meanings and manifestations.
Papers, presentations, reports and workshops are welcome on any of the
* the erotic and identity: disability, ethnicity, gender, class
* the erotic, law and crime
* the erotic in education and the education of the erotic
* the erotic in popular culture
* the erotic in literature and on the screen
* the erotic and its relationship to pornography and exploitation
* the erotic, ethics and philosophy
* the erotic and the eroticised or de-eroticised body
* the erotic: absence, control and excess
* the erotic and sexual representation
* the erotic in media - film, print, tv, internet
* the erotic and (neo-)colonialism
* the erotic as the making of the exotic
* the erotic and the phenomenological
This is only an indicative list; papers will be considered on other
related themes. Papers, reports on research and workshop proposals
ranging from academic papers to forms of performance are acceptable
providing they demonstrate academic rigour and clear thinking in their
approach to the erotic.
Papers will be considered on any related theme. 300 word abstracts
should be submitted by Friday 10th August 2007. If your paper is
accepted for presentation at the conference, an 8 page draft paper
should be submitted by Friday 19th October 2007.
300 word abstracts should be submitted to both the Organising Joint
Chairs; abstracts may be in Word, WordPerfect, PDF or RTF formats.
Reader in Sociology and Social Philosophy
Department of Social and Psychological Sciences
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk, Lancashire L39 4QP
Priory House, Wroslyn Road
Freeland, Oxfordshire OX29 8HR
The conference is part of a larger series of ongoing conferences
entitled Critical Issues, which aim to bring together people from
different areas and interests to share ideas and explore various
discussions which are innovative and exciting.
All papers accepted for and presented at the conference will be
published as an ISBN eBook. Selected papers accepted for and presented
at this conference will be published in a hard copy themed volume.